Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Google

Food Tourism: A Growing Trend

Imagine culinary expeditions to far-flung regions of the world. What a delicious way to experience the food of other cultures.

For several years now, I've been noticing a growing trend in food tourism.

At a catering conference that I attended in the 90's, I learned about a colleague who had started a gourmet travel division to her North Carolina catering business. I was fascinated.

Of course food tourism need not even depart American shores to experience true adventure.

All fifty states offer splendid culinary treasures.

In a recent study by the Travel Industry Association in association with Gourmet magazine and the International Culinary Tourism Association, it was stated that 60% of U.S. leisure travelers say that they are interested in culinary travel. 27 million travelers engaged in culinary activities while traveling over the past three years.

The hot spots for US culinary travel are California, Florida and New York. Having lived in all three of these states, I'm not surprised!

In my research I learned about New York Chocolate Tours, a new company started by Carmen Botez. Ah, imagine the sweet dreams you would have after a touring New York's best chocolate shops. Why I think after a day of chocolate tasting I would be thinking that I had surely died and gone to heaven. Death By Chocolate.... mmmm what could be sweeter?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home